Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Double whips and burr bit

Today was a fierce dressage lesson.  John said poor Charlie will probably be a bit sore tomorrow.
The lesson started with John bringing out a second whip, but then he quickly got annoyed with Charlie's utter disregard for anything I was doing with my left hand.  So he went inside (I was hoping to get his helmet, but no….) and got one of those "burrs" that sits in the bit with the pokey ends touching the muzzle, and put it on Charlie's right side.
Then he made me ride the snot out of poor Charlie.
It is not something I could repeat on my own.  We would bend him to the left (way left) so I could see his eye, and then I would use my outside (right) leg up next to the girth (eventually, just putting my leg up, then turning my heel so I could touch him with just my spur) to push him forward.  We would get a few marvelous steps where he was bent around my left leg and pushing from behind - I could feel his back lift up - and then he would invert, shake his head, and kick out behind.
Then we went to the right, but counter bent to the left.  He'd get a few steps bent right, then back to counter bend.  Same thing - he'd do a few steps, then invert, shake his head, and kick out.
Then John had me try to cross his front legs over to make a small circle, then leg yield out, without letting him bend to the outside, back to the regular circle.
Then we turned a 10 meter circle into a shoulder-in down the long side, which Charlie HATED.
Finally, we did some canter both ways, and he would canter a couple nice steps, then try to shake it off.  Canter was a little easier than trot in one sense, because John said to really use my seat to make his steps longer, and Charlie responded really well to that.
John said that Charlie should have learned this when he was 4, and he's never really had to bend around my left leg before.  He said I didn't have the skills to try to get it until this year, and that if we had a show next week, we wouldn't be doing it, but it's worth trying a few times over the next lessons.
At home, he said to just try not letting Charlie evade - if he tries to pop out through the right shoulder, correct it.  Then when he tries to pop out through the left shoulder, correct it.  He said Charlie will just keep moving around where he's trying to evade until he learns he has to submit.
Charlie was sweaty all over - even his butt, and my hair was soaking wet.
Oh, and at the beginning of the lesson, John had me ride a 10 meter circle to the left with my left hand behind my thigh so Charlie couldn't wear out my arm.  He was still refusing to bend, so that's when John decided he'd had enough.
It was a really interesting lesson.  Those few steps where Charlie was bent and using his hind end and lifting his back?  Divine.  I hope one day we can get that all the time.

No comments: