Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Two rollbacks in our jump lesson with John

On this beautiful sunny February day, we had a great jump lesson with John.  Kevin came with me and so I was ready a bit faster than normal.  John was going to jump one of the horses there really quick but I got to watch him ride while warming up.
We did the same "figure 8" as last weekend, which was a vertical, right turn around an oxer, vertical, left turn, back to the same first vertical.  Charlie didn't spend nearly as much time hopping around flinging his front legs every which way as last week, although he only landed on the left lead maybe twice.
Then we added in the oxer, which made Charlie jump nice and round.
Then John had us do a line, which was an angle over a vertical with a lattice, 4 strides to the "original" vertical, then a right turn around back to the oxer.
Following that, he took it up a huge notch, and had us do the line, then a very hard right rollback turn to a gate, with a very hard left rollback turn to the vertical with the lattice.  When he showed me that one, and told me where I needed to change by, I was like "sure, John, we'll ride that" totally sarcastic.  And then we rode it - amazingly, including the change.  It was AWESOME.
And it cemented for me what John was saying last week, that I've gotten so much faster on the trot changes that if I see that we're landing left, I can do a change through the trot a stride or so after the fence, and not really lose any of the rhythm or the line to the next fence.
He said the biggest problem I had in show jumping last year was the inconsistent speed - I'd go fast but then slow way down and then speed up again then slow way down.  He said the reason why the jumps felt good today was because it was a nice even speed and rhythm; which incidentally, let me have more time to look for the next fence, check the lead, and feel generally like it was a nice ride.
He also said that it's just about time to think about changing the bit; he said my hands have gotten quiet enough that it would be nice to have a bit that let me get a bit more "lift" out of Charlie.
It was a great lesson, and John chatted a bit afterwards, but none of the pictures Kevin took came out.  We are just a fuzzy blur going over a fence.

No comments: