Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, December 31, 2016

More Beauty & the Beast jumps

We shared our lesson with Reece today, whose loaner horse got a little excited.  She did some good riding for a kid, and I got a little jealous that she's going to grow up to be such a good rider because she gets to spend her formative years learning from John.  Also, she "got" to learn how to solve a problem with John, where I "just" had super duper reliable Charlie carry me through it regardless of how I was flubbing it up.
John says when I jump at home, I don't need to jump more than 2'6" or 3', so that was super helpful.  He says he might do a few big jumps in a row, or just one once before a show, depending on what the horse needs.
For my lesson, my number one thing was to get my reins back faster.  He said it's fine if I slip them over the big fence so I'm not hitting Charlie in the mouth, but it shouldn't take me half the ring to pick them back up again.  I've also taken to sticking my left elbow out, like a chicken.  I have no idea why I'm doing that.
He also showed me with my hands where they should be when Charlie is on the bit, and how when he rounds up and then rounds down, how much that would pull them forward.  He said the only way to be able to do that is being super duper responsive in the hips, and since I'm no there yet, it's ok to slip them.
He was also telling me heels down and legs forward, and to keep my reins shorter heading into the fences than I wanted.  I also had to really think to squeeze my shoulder blades together, which we did at the start with some half seat in the canter and then some two point (around and around) at the trot.
We had one good learning moment over a big fence, when I looked down at it instead of up and out the door, and could immediately feel how it made me crumple in the air and as we landed, so it was a good demonstration of how important that head up is.
Charlie was great, nice and forward and round over the fences, but I still feel like triangle.  John said it's fine, it will get better, and it's not any worse than it was.
Charlie will be with John some part of this week (and maybe next week) depending on how my "Uncle Leo" trial goes.  There's a cold front coming in, and I am feeling terrible because I left Charlie's "snow suit" here at home so he won't be able to wear it standing in the stall.  I even left my trailer down there, so I had no excuse not to bring anything he might need.

No comments: