Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Light in the reins (jump lesson)

Duke was moving great today, and we had a total angels singing moment.  John had us warm up working on 20 meter circles, and after he had me do a bit of flexion, he told me to give a little on the inside rein and then give a little on the outside rein at the same time.  And Duke went light in my hands and kept going.  It was AMAZING.  I have never felt that before.  John said later that while Charlie was good about making himself round, he didn't get light in the hands.
I was supposed to take that amazing, miraculous, feather-cloud feeling and keep it while we jumped.
So we started with pole, cross rail, pole, pole, but with a chute in between each.
John put the middle pole up to a vertical, and then the final pole to an oxer, which he gradually increased.  I thought we made our turns at the far end much better than last week, although they still did need some improvement.  John told me a couple times to put my leg down and to open my chest and sit tall, and he said that when Duke is very calm and quiet, I need to help him by putting on my leg.  So I'd squeeze at the cross-rail, squeeze at the vertical, and squeeze at the oxer, but look up and through (past) the oxer as I came in.
Then John had us jump the stand-alone vertical after the grid.  This was, after the assistance of the grid, a little harder to do.  I would get the line wrong, but then stick to it, and we came in really short a few times and then longer a couple times.  John said that I need to watch for Duke not paying attention - that if I pick a line and stick to it - Duke needs to commit to it as well.
Duke got pretty sweaty, but he was really nice to ride over the bigger oxer (maybe 3'10"?) and I felt like we did a little better on our leads too.
But that lightness in my hands?!  Damn ... that was awesome.

No comments: