Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Jumping in young rider's camp course

John squeezed me in after young rider's camp, so I got to ride with an audience (yech) and in an arena with a big full course set up (yay).  Even better, Ashley rode Rambo part of the ride with me, so that was nice.
John had me start on a circle, getting him round.
From there, we rode a circle with two ground poles.  This was as hard as it was with Christa a couple weeks ago, and John suggested a counter bend around 1/4 of the circle, then, a few strides before the next pole, go back to regular bend.  That helped a lot.
From there, we went around the circle, over the pole, then down the line to a plank.  Around the 4th time, John asked me how many times I was going to jump it over on the left hand side, so from there I fixed it.
But for the love of god, it never occurred to me to fix it on my own (or notice).
Then we were supposed to ride it as a six stride line, but I rode it as five (twice) and then finally the. third time got it in six (I had to say "whoa" with my mouth) and then we rode it in four.  four was the easiest.
Then we rode a similar line going the other direction.
Then we rode a triple, which was a vertical, two stride forward, oxer, one stride, vertical.  Duke tripped between the oxer and vertical, and then heaved himself into the air and I swear levitated over the second vertical so that he wouldn't touch a rail, which amused John, since he just blows around hitting rails at the shows.
John said (about the drift) that I need to set up like 7 cardboard cutouts of him around the arena, which I agree with.  I think Duke respects John.
It was a great lesson - once I was riding I quit thinking about all the kids watching me, and the main takeaway was John said to balance him before I start the turn - that if I do a little bit of counterbend and then balance, I come into the whole line correctly, but it's when we puke over the first one unbalanced that I can't really get it back.
Even though it was drizzly and cool, Duke got pretty sweaty.  I was thinking on the way down it's probably good that John is an hour away, because I leave work so wound up and tense and upset and I don't want to do anything but be mad, but by the time I get there, I've calmed down some.  And then after I ride with John, I always feel better.  But damn, I am tired of how much work drains me.

No comments: