Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, August 06, 2018

Week with John

Duke spent almost a week at Caber while I was in Florida with the family (and the rain).  I had a lesson before bringing him home, and he felt like he was moving with his back lifted and more quietly on the bit - more forward, I think, because my legs felt like they just had to hang there, not nagging him.
He was good at the trot, but a little bit tense, chewing on the bit and not quite going round and deep (as round and deep as I know John can ride him).  His canter surprised me (and him) - we both went shooting off, and I was grateful John was there to explain his aids, which are not as much leg slamming on as I do.  So Duke is now a delicate Maserati, who can spring forward (or back) without me having to lug on him.  It was pretty cool, and a nice reminder that I should not be as casual and sloppy with my aids.
I asked John what he could feel about the way I ride when he rode him, and he said that it feels like I give up just before Duke gives what I ask him to - as in, I ask him to get round, and he starts to go round, and then I think "good enough" and quit asking, although Duke is ready to give the last little bit.  Super useful.
He also said that as soon as Duke gives with his jaw, I need to immediately soften my hands - reward him immediately.  He said that Saturday they worked on a lot of walk/trot/walk/halt, and Duke got crabby about it (I am betting John's version of crabby is pretty different than mine), and that he also was a bit - I forget the word he used - snarky (?) in the heat.
I thought Duke felt great, and it was amazing to be able to send him forward and back so easy.  I'll ride again on Thursday, after I get my "sea legs" back.
The important difference in the canter aid was a) the sequence (inside bend, outside hand, inside leg, go) and b) the intensity (I slam both legs on casually and ignore his head).  To bring the canter back, all I had to do was a tiny bit of light outside rein.

No comments: