Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, February 03, 2019

Dressage yesterday; jumped (with a stop) today

Yesterday was our first dressage lesson in a few weeks.  I've been riding with my stirrups a couple (?) holes longer, which makes my leg look correct in the mirror but feels weird.  John measured it with my foot first, and said it looked ok, and he didn't say during the lesson to shorten them.
We did a lot of work getting Duke round, which is still squarely in the realm of feeling rather than describing.  It was a lot of inside leg to outside hand, using outside hand to half halt but inside hand to bend (with leg), and then using my outside leg a little bit back on the circles to keep Duke from moving too far out.  It was challenging, but I could feel when Duke rounded up over his back (which I think is actually tucking his tailbone and stepping underneath himself with his hind legs.  John showed me at the end that Duke got quite sweaty in his butt, and he said that's how I can check at home whether he's just flopping around or if he's really working.  He said to accept what he gives me at home, but then to ask for a little bit more.

It seemed like it actually made Duke a little tired (not sore) for today's lesson, where we had a stop.  We rode with Christa, and he was doing great over the ground rail, vertical, ground rail, and we were doing a pretty good job with lead changes (or landing on the correct lead) and then the fence got so enormous that I couldn't look away from it, and we were coming in at a trot, and it didn't feel like enough power, and Duke stopped in front of it.  John lowered it several holes, and we did it a few more times, gradually raising it up, but not to the super height it had been.  John described it perfectly - it felt like we didn't have enough power at the trot, it was so huge to my eye, and so at the last second I flung my body forward instead of using leg.  I ended up on Duke's neck and had to hop backwards into the Seattle.
After that, we did the grid, with a reasonable small oxer, and then John took away the ground pole, cross rail, and vertical, and it was just four (?) ground poles at the canter to the oxer.  We did that for a while, and Duke was really consistent.
I asked John at the end if we could jump the gigantic one again, and he said no, Duke was too tired, but sometime in the future we can.
I feel like we're doing better after we land, like I'm not tilting as far forward, so that I can get him around the corner better, and he does a pretty decent job offering the lead changes on his own once he realizes which way we're going.
Afterwards, he napped tied to the trailer, so I guess he was pretty pooped.
Duke is a good horse.  John's a great teacher.  I feel really fortunate.

No comments: