Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, February 24, 2019

Few lines with Christa

Much to my disappointment, we did not jump a million times better today than we did at the derby last weekend.  Although maybe I should be glad, because it gave us another chance to work with John.
We started with a little cross rail which became a vertical.  These were fine.
Then we did a bending five stride line, which was a hard right turn to a vertical and then four strides towards E and then the last stride was the turn to an oxer.  Christa rode it beautifully every time.  I couldn't make the turn correctly to save my life.  We launched, we chipped, we flailed.
Once - ONCE - we got it right, immediately after John told me to focus on the top rail, but I felt it as we came in that we had the distance right.
From there, we added a left turn to oxer to vertical, and then John added a line down the center of three angled jumps.  Then he switched the direction (instead of turning left to them, we turned right), and then a couple other combinations of those same fences.
I'd say about mid-way through the lesson Duke quit flying around and we started riding a bit more controlled, although one left turn I tried to wrestle him around and it made his hind legs buckle.  John said I need to give a little and although it felt contrary to all instinct, when I did, it made a huge difference.

No comments: