Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Wednesday, June 05, 2019

Dressage lesson

We had a good ride and John talked me through some of the issues from EI.  He said he was hard on me because I hadn't learned the letters for the dressage test and was looking for them, that when Duke was stiff, I didn't help him relax, and that yes, I do need to work on my posture.  He said I should wear the shoulders back aid at work.  He also said that the trainer next to him said she didn't know that he had students with bad equitation, and when I looked horrified, said she was sort of joking with him.
He said Duke helped me out a lot in jumping, but that he thinks that Duke was doing it for me - that he wouldn't necessarily do it for John or for Ashley and that I should be proud we finished a prelim together when neither of us had ever done one.  (And therefore, I'm not wasting Duke's potential, if he's happy with me.)
He said that we can only think of so many things at once, and so that's part of why I couldn't feel and fix things, but that some of it I should know.
He also said that we need to improve before we can move home, and to plan on staying all of June (until Inavale) but it's not written in stone.
For the lesson, we worked on 10 meter and then 20 meter circle, bending Duke and then counterbending, and then feeling him go round and giving.  For the canter, we worked on me actually sitting down, and feeling the difference in the moment of lift in his canter when I had my butt planted in the saddle, vs. flattening him out by leaning forward.
As always, a very useful lesson, and good discussion.  And Duke was lovely, and I wish we could translate that directly into the show ring.  As I type it, I realize that no one can - that's part of the show pressure.  
God damn, I'm lucky to be able to ride with John.

No comments: