Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, September 18, 2006

Lesson on 9/10 - another bad jump lesson, on video

1. Reins shorter in 2-point, so I don't lose contact
2. My head up!
3. When approaching a jump, think (and do): half-halt, half-halt, squeeze
4. Mercury isn't respecting the poles. He ran right through one set about 6" above ground.
5. I need to work on not bringing my hands back too fast.
6. I got really frustrated (and started to cry at the end) because I couldn't even do 2 out of original 5 poles on hte ground
7. Bob said not to work on poles or fences except in lessons for a little while
8. After I got frustrated, he said to think about how far I've come since I started, and Mercury's good qualities - that he never refuses at a fence.
9. In the combinations, we worked on a different approach (with the squeeze and half halt), which is lots more set-up than I've been doing on my own.
Leftover from the last dressage lesson:
1. I need to keep the noseband tighter (flash & nose)
2. I need to work on wiggling my fingers up and down the reins to adjust.
3. I need to switch my whip so it's on the inside for corrections.
4. I wish I was Bob's star student.

No comments: