Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, September 18, 2006

Modified 2-day Event - unrecognized - Lincoln Creek

This weekend (9/16 & 17) was the modified 2 day. It had a lot more complexity than the derby.
Friday started with a heavy downpour. I had planned to drive back and forth, but changed my mind, drove home, and drove back down and slept in the car the first night. I had tried to walk Roads & Tracks before dark, but I somehow got into a pasture with cows, which started following me, which made my already present fear of cows much more intense, so I tried to get away, only to find the next pasture over didn't have an exit and I had to go back through the cows.
Saturday was a nice day while I watched Prelim and Training level do dressage and show jumping. When I got Mercury out to groom him, I got 1/2 of him curried before it started to rain. Then I put him back in the stall, cleaned up all the stuff, and finished getting him ready in the stall. After I worked up a good sweat in my raincoat warming up, it quit raining. Mercury was excellent in the warm-up, but some things fell apart during the test. It was a longer test than last time, but in some ways easier. His transitions weren't very smooth, and a lot of the judge's comments were about him being lazy, even though he was on the bit better, bent better, and more responsive. We got more 7's than last time, but also 4's, which we didn't get last time, and some 6's & 5's. My score was a 41.5.
Show jumping was clear. It turned out it was timed, so I got a little panicked about being late, and I cantered some of the fences. My position was not good. I kept asking him to jump long and throwing my body forward. But he was good and didn't get too excited. We trotted some too.
At the end of dressage we were in 4th place, but actually 5th because a woman with a broken finger rode Hopeful instead of Beginner Novice. Out of 9, I think. Then I think I moved up to 3rd or 2nd in show jumping.
Saturday started with Mercury busting through his stall guard and taking a tour of the property with me chasing him.
Sunday drizzled most of the day. I didn't ride until 1:18, so I watched Prelim (only 1 rider by now), Training (also several scratches), and some of Novice. Their courses looked fun.
Phase A of Roads & Tracks was mostly trotting. Mercury got nervous about all the horses going different directions and being so far away. Phase B was steeplechase without the jumps, and he started making himself spook at things. Phase C was supposed to be a walk, but we had to trot almost all of it to finish in time. He passed his vet check after 7 minutes.
I warmed him up, then cross country was only 9 fences, no water, and flew past. He jumped well, and I think I did ok too. He got a little spooky at some grass, and he was eyeballing some huge jumps like "you've got to be kidding me". He did everything clear, but we were a little slow because I made him trot all but the last jump. The huge hill (for us) we cantered up but walked down because of his weak back legs, and then I pushed him really hard to the end. We did the last jump at a slightly awkward canter, and then I asked him to run for the finish line, and like a little angel, he did. It was great.
At the end of Sunday, we were in 3rd place. I had been in 2nd for a long time, but then someone complained about their time, and they went into 1st. Broken finger got 2nd. 4th was pretty far below me. I had 3 time penalties for being late in xc.
I think next year we'll move to Beginner Novice, but we have a lot to work on. That's the next blog. I had a really good time.

No comments: