Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

No, It's More than Disappointment

I forgot to mention in the last post that Willig has a new set of hives. They're not that big, and there's not that many, but they are kind of interesting, in a historical perspective. One on his neck "burst" - there's a big raw patch of skin, and it was obviously weeping. A few others look like they wept a little too, which is weird since they weren't there Sunday but by Tuesday wept. He has some edema along his belly, which is visible, but not huge, but not that much up on his body. No leg swelling.
My hypotheses: Sunday he stayed in because of the rain, which was a change in routine, and presumably, stressful; new hay came - Saturday I think; Saturday I made him cross the 6" drainage creek; and/or he got the low dose bags of the skin & allergy which is about to run out.
What's discouraging is each of those are pretty mild events, in my mind. I think I am not doing a good job "getting" what a young horse needs to build confidence. I'm going to try to find some books on it - or articles.

The second thing, which is a bit of a rant, is this. Here's what a trainer/instructor sees when they look at me:
Someone with years of experience riding, but still pretty much an "advanced beginner";
an attorney with disposable income dedicated entirely to horses;
no other hobbies, no husband, no kids, and nothing on the horizon that looks like I'll quit riding anytime soon;
Two horses to be boarded, one who needs training, and weekly lessons;
Clinics and shows with a trainer;
Willing to pay for the trainer to show the "fancy" horse;
hard working at lessons - rides 5 times a week, takes lessons regularly, and practices what's learned in the lessons;
doesn't know how to train and needs lots of work, which means lots and lots of time in lessons and training;
on her ex-fiancee's beginning trail horse, placed 1st-3rd in every show entered after 10 years of not competing;
and very willing to learn and improve and set goals, so lessons aren't totally boring and the same thing every single week for years.
I can see why a trainer wouldn't want to keep me by driving 15 miles twice a month for lessons where he gets paid for his travel time, at a barn where at least 3 other riders might be interested in lessons with him. (That's sarcasm, and the very, very mellow version of the rant that is in my head right now.)

3 comments:

Beckz said...

Oh yup, Bob not being willing to make that tiny sacrifice sucks the big kumara. I would have you as a student but I don't think you really want a 22yr old nzer to give you lessons lol. Sounds like a sweet deal to me though

walktrotcanter said...

I was in a very similar situation a year and a half ago. I had been working with a trainer who I thought was so good for me...I was excited about all of my improvement and growth as a rider and we got along very well. I had been riding various horses at the trainer's barn and finally decided to buy my own. Long story short, I finally had my own horse and the trainer moved to a barn that was too far from me. He never made any effort to get together for lessons even tho like you, it would have been a good deal ($$ and student-wise) for him. I was crushed and frustrated and had a horrible time getting along with my new horse to boot! I ended up hooking up with a new trainer by talking to some of the folks at the barn where I decided to board my horse. My current trainer is fantastic and has done wonders for both me and my horse. Looking back, I can see I am actually in a much better situation now...even tho at the time I lost my other trainer I thought it was the end of the world. Hope you have similar luck finding your way...chin up!

Grey said...

Oh my, you do have a way with words! :) It's certainly disappointing that a trainer you like so much won't make the effort to keep you, but some folks just don't like to travel. I had a trainer, also a friend, who tried coming to teach me when she relocated, but even though it wasn't far, it seemed that something always interfered -- a colicky horse, farrier/vets needing help, other clients running late, stuck on the phone with someone, and so on. In the end, we gave up since it just wasn't worth the stress and time it seemed to waste. It may be that Bob has tried in the past and not liked how it worked out, or that while he does see value in coming to you, he simply has enough on his plate without taking half a day out to travel, even for multiple students. It seems you have a few options: 1) try to move back to Bob's barn, since Willig's hives appear to be unrelated to his location; 2) buy a trailer and haul in for lessons; 3) find someone else. I bet if you check your USEA area website they'll have a list of eventing trainers in your area, or a bulletin board where you can post a query for someone who will come to your barn. Good luck!

Grey