Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, March 17, 2008

Thanks for the comments!

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that Willig is quite possibly too much horse for me, and I have been suspecting that since he arrived. I had a very sinking feeling each time I saw Bob struggle with him because if Bob struggles, that means he's way out of my league.
I just want to make sure I rule the other options out though, and one I haven't mentioned explicitly is because of his hives, he has basically only been lunged for three months. I'm wondering if that is part of the "attitude" about being ridden and new things. His seller told me that he was a clever horse who got bored easily, and I'm wondering if he got "spoiled" by the lunging while we were trying to figure out the hives - like how horses get pasture sour.
I'm thinking he'll get another month or two to see how things are going, and if he's still beyond my skills, then it'll be time for him to find a home where he can be more properly utilized. If it is just an "adjustment", I don't want to give up on him too soon because he's such a joy to ride when we're working.
It's just frustrating to be in the position where I don't have the experience to be able to tell if it's "too much horse" or if he just needs some patience. It seems reasonable that a 6 year old who hasn't been shown or turned out would be overwhelmed by an active barn with daily turn out.
When he arrived, I couldn't even trot on him. I actually couldn't even make him trot on the lunge line. So we've made a LOT of progress when I step back and look at it, and I actually had some similar issues with Mercury (who is now a reliable, if slow, angel), and that makes me think it might just be a patience/trust thing.
Any other suggestions or experience you've had, though - I would love to hear it! One person posted very early on that he sounded like too much horse for what I needed right now, so if anyone has had a similar experience and found that it wasn't just "patience" that was needed, I would really like to know about your experience.
I'm so glad someone other than my mom, dad, and sister read this blog!

2 comments:

Beckz said...

I have been reading your blog for ages I'm just a poor commenter! I was seriously overhorsed by my horse and it took me two years before I took him to his first show. Though for not giving up I now have plenty of scars and will never be as brave again. It was a case of I can't afford to replace him.

I think it sounds like a good plan to give him a couple of months. They reckon it takes at least a year to build a relationsip with a horse. But if it becomes a chore to work him, you need to think very hard about whether you want to keep him. Riding should be fun foremost.

~Kelley said...

I am also a poor commenter, but one thing you might think about is how to really engage him. If he is a very smart horse, he needs new challenges that make him think. Not just riding, but work over cavaletti on the lunge, lots of transitions (three steps walk, then trot a few steps then walk again, then canter, then trot - keep him guessing for 10 minutes).
The young are always so impatient! Keeping him really busy will probably be key to improving his attitude, but I understand how hard it is when your horse is dealing with something like hives. You just can't explain! It's like dealing with a 5 year old with chicken pox.
Anyway, I agree with beckz that you should really give it a few more months. With the weather improving and his hives under control you may be able to work him enough that he stays challenged and is better behaved.