Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Willig : Stampy :: Mercury : Odin

I don't want to sell Mercury because I would never, ever get rid of Odin (my beloved dog on my other blog). And I wouldn't hesitate for even one second if someone drove up and knocked on my door and said they wanted Stampy.
And Willig is apparently trying to follow in Stampy's footsteps.
Today, after a bout with the stomach flu, I went out to lunge Willig since he got two days off. And both arenas were being used for lessons, and Willig is a bit too much horse to be lunged in the same arena as another horse (esp. with a total beginner who is still working on steering), so I decided to give him another learning opportunity, and take him out into the big pasture on the way to the trails. (There's actually two big pastures, but this one was more like being on a cross country course.)
And, just as I expected, he freaked out. Fortunately, we weren't unlucky and when he tried to kick me in the head (more than once), he wasn't close enough, and when he jumped over the lunge rein and got it tangled around his leg he didn't break it, and when he pulled really hard, he didn't get loose. And so he cantered and trotted around and around and around, and got mad and switched directions and kept going and going. It was almost an hour before he walked. And once he walked, I let him quit and we went inside.
- After we made three trips back and forth over the bridge because he wouldn't quit jumping the very last step -
And then he stood in the cross ties and pawed for another half hour, so I just put him in his stall instead of back outside so the staff wouldn't have to deal with him tonight. If I'm lucky, he'll be sore tomorrow so that will make him easier for me to ride (of course, after I lunge him).
I really, really don't know if it's a) his age, b) his inexperience, c) his lack of trust in me, or d) a messed up personality. But the clock is ticking. He's got two checkpoints, and if he doesn't pass both of them with some progress from this constant "learning experience in a new situation" that we've been doing for an entire month, then he's up for sale.

2 comments:

Grey said...

Martha, I've gone back and read some of your earlier posts about Willig, and my heart bleeds for you, as the saying goes. He sounds like a fabulous, talented horse that anyone would love to have. But he also sounds, and has from the beginning, as if he's way too much horse for you right now. From what you've said, I think your trainer made a big mistake in recommending the purchase. I'm an amateur, like you, and while I like the idea of bringing along my own project, I have to have something that tolerates mistakes, stays sane when real life interferes with regular training, and that I can have fun with. And that to me is the key -- if it isn't fun, why bother? I hope he does settle down for you, but if not, don't feel bad about selling. Life is too short, and horses are way too expensive, to waste time with one that isn't compatible, no matter how nice a guy the horse might be. I'm sure you can find a nice, steady mount that you can take BN/N this year and work your way up in the years to come. Good luck!

Beckz said...

He sounds like a young horse who needs a lot of very structured work. Perhaps you would have more fun wih something else as he sounds like he is a long way from doing any eventing.