Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Finally! A Willig Success Story!

Mr. Willig has had it pretty easy (too easy) the past couple weeks. First he had the abscess and his shoe off, then I had the back thing going on (still going, by the way), so I am supposed to "go easy" on my back. That means Willig has been getting a lot of lunging, and there have been a few incidents at work. My cut-off is 6 pm - if I can't get out the door to the barn at 6, I go home instead, even if it's a barn night, because otherwise I am getting home near 10 pm, and I feel too guilty leaving the dogs alone for 14 hours.
When I brought him in yesterday, he threw his typical fit in his stall "Oh no! I'm alone! I'm going to die! Someone come rescue me!" And I did my typical ignore him until he's quiet (I plan other things to meddle around doing), and then take him out.
The girl partially leasing Mercury was there, and I asked her if she could go on a trail ride. I wasn't sure what to expect. Well, I did expect some hyperness out of Willig. But he was really good on the lunge line, not as good being ridden, but he got tired pretty quick because most of the day was over 80, which is really high for us.
Then Mercury started off on the trail (wincing delicately with his bare feet whenever they even thought about touching a rock), and Willig followed him. And when I say followed, I mean Willig's nose was touching the top of Mercury's back. Bless Mercury's patient soul, he didn't kick or anything, but the only struggle, and I am so grateful for this, was keeping Willig off Mercury. He would be a tailgater for sure if he could drive. (The image of Willig driving a car makes me laugh out loud. What a maniac. Wait. I know a human driver who fits that image to a T.)
So we did the loop I hoped to do, and since Willig was being so cool about it, we added a second loop, but I had Willig lead this one. And poor Mercury had to struggle to keep up! Willig started getting a little anxious, but I did a slightly longer loop home, and then we were back!
We stopped to talk to the owner, and Willig proceeded to do some yoga in front of everyone (which is what he does when he's had to "think" during that day's ride - he crosses his front legs and stretches down - like a horsey downward dog).
I am really, really pleased with how he handled the novelty. And, one of the newer boarders had her horse outside the arena rearing and stuff while I was riding him, so all in all, he was a pretty cool cucumber.

No comments: