Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Willig's first solo trail ride!

Willig was having a rare lazy day yesterday, so after a little lunge work, we did some of the ground exercises, then some "thinking" riding (swerving through cones, ground poles at extended walk distance), and then I took him on a trail ride.
He balked as soon as he realized where we were going, so I got off, led him over the bridge and across the field to the hill, where I got back on him (amazing thing #1!), and then he was a little skittish about walking again, but once we started going, he did ok. Not great, after a little bit he started doing that antsy trot, but I'd say "and walk" (his lunge command), and he'd do it (amazing thing #2!).
He was a little nervous about going back over the bridge by himself, but he did it, and so then I just brushed him off and put him away.
I read/heard (can't remember) somewhere that it takes a horse about a year to trust you. Of course, that depends on the horse's personality and what you're doing with him (i.e. if you're untrustworthy, it probably isn't going to happen at any point). But I like to tell myself that Willig is young, hasn't been around a huge variety of people or experiences, and he is really showing some effort to do the weird stuff I ask him to. That, more than anything, is our biggest learning opportunity right now.
Last night I watched the first DVD (of 4) in the first set (of 3) of Clinton Anderson. I'll probably watch them all before I try any of it. I'm just not sure I'm coordinated enough to successfully do what he's doing with the horses - it seems like an awful lot going on at once.

No comments: