Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Sweet Merc needs a new home





Ok, seriously, sweet calm Mercury needs a new home.
I adore him - he is my sweet, calm, reliable boy - but I just can not work AND ride both horses.
I've had Merc about 4 years.
He's a 1994 thoroughbred gelding. About 16 hands (maybe a hair taller), nice colored bay.
If you go all the way through the blog, he had last summer off (from showing), but the two summers before that I rode him beginner novice at unrecognized shows and derbies. Except for the one time I fell off, he always got 1st-3rd.
He loves to jump, but he's not experienced enough that I'd consider him a schoolmaster.
He'd be good for:
- a kid with a solid foundation who just needs a couple years of entry level work
- a trail riding companion (for friends/husbands/boyfriends of any level)
- an adult amateur who is getting back into riding
- light regular old riding
He's good for easy riding and reliable if he's only ridden a couple days a week (he doesn't get all crazy thoroughbred).
However, if you want to show him, he needs more consistent work, and he needs someone with enough experience who will make him work. He's good for beginners, but he's like a "beginner-plus" horse - he's the next step, where you have to be on alert and asking him to do what you want. (i.e. not telling him to canter, then he canters until you tell him to walk two hours later)
He trailers, cross-ties, clips, stands still while you braid, goes through water, goes on trails, and basically does everything an all-around horse should do. He's not spooky, he doesn't have any vices, and I can put my mom on him (who is afraid of horses) and she can go on a trail ride.
He was leased most of the last year by a beginner teenager who adored him, but when I moved barns, I went back to riding him myself.
I'd be willing to sell him - price negotiable - when I had him working and in show condition - pre-recession - I valued him at $4500.
I'd also be willing to put him in a full care, long-term lease with a purchase option that decreases the longer the lease lasts.
In either situation, I'm willing to give two test rides and a one week trial. I won't do a longer trial because the wait list is so long at our current barn, and I don't have a place I could put him until a spot opened up again. I will also do a right of first refusal (for a purchase) or a return to me (for a lease) so that if your situation changes, he gets returned to me (but I'll need two months notice because of the boarding situation). I don't want him to end up "on the streets".
Please, please email me or if you know of the perfect home, spread the word.
I'm going to branch out in my advertising, and the longer I ride him, the more his price will go up.
I really want him to find the perfect home, where he gets more attention and time than I can give him right now.

No comments: