Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Friday, July 15, 2011

Willig remembered our deal; I didn't

Two lessons ago, we rode the Forest Park xc fences, and I made a deal with Willig that if he could be the rockstar, I'd get him the next time. So he was.
Then, the next time was in the downpour schooling at NWEC, I asked him to just cart me one more time, and I'd get him the next time. So he did.
And then I promptly forgot that Willig has ever been the slightest bit difficult and today rode him like a little delicate pansy until he made sure I remembered the deal and actually rode him - in the freakishly bizarre second rain storm we've ridden in. It's MID-July!!!
Take-aways:
1. Shannon said if I feel comfortable at the canter then I'm not going fast enough. Take it up just a little notch. (Same goes for her, which always helps me to hear.)
2. RIDE. Him. Assertively. Poor Shannon, having to say that every freaking lesson for two years now. When he's in an ADD mood, I have to ride every second of every step (but not over ride; just be ready for the corrections). He was doing some quick spins and run-outs today, and even though it felt like a slow motion train wreck coming, I just couldn't get my act together to correct it before it happened, and he'd spin, and I'd circle and we'd take the fence. The baby step good news is that we don't have to putter around for an hour in between the bad behavior and the next fence.
3. Ride him in front of my leg, in a defensive posture, with my legs in front of me, and my seat deep, and let him lift me over the fence. i.e. Stop overjumping. When he's coming in short or long, I tend to overjump because I'm anxious because I feel that we're short or long.
4. Use whip, voice, leg. Do not start pulling. Give him a long approach to look at the fence. Particularly if he's having an ADD moment.
I think those are the high points. It was a good lesson because I jumped him Wednesday and he was easy and fine, so I came in with a really "he's cooooolll, dude" kind of approach. Which is fine if he's cool, but I'm not adapting quickly enough. So although I'm disappointed he was in a mood, I'm glad we had the learning opportunity in the lesson BEFORE the show. And I have my fingers crossed for a good Willig/good riding day there.

No comments: