Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, September 07, 2013

Our first 8 in collective marks!

We knocked the socks off of our Caber dressage test two weeks ago, and had a great test.  It wasn't enough to put us in the top 5 - Novice champs is a lot harder than BN champs.
I'm happy because in reflecting on what I struggled with last year and what I am struggling with this year, this year's issues are different and a wee bit more advanced.
Also, I was really nervous about this ride - I had 5 things making me nervous - but after my nerves at Caber I had a plan, and it worked.  I really concentrated on Shannon in the warm up and tried to ignore the other riders (and also tried to ride in the quietest part of the warm up), and then as we went in, I tried to focus on rocking it instead of on how nervous I was.
Shannon point out the big improvement area is after the free walk, I don't pick my reins far enough up so we did the second half of the test more on the forehand and long than the first half.  That's an easy one to remember and fix (in theory).  She said I do the same thing on the outside of the arena - I go from an 8 trot warming up to a 4 as soon as I get out of warm up into the outside of the test.
We also only had one "bend more" comment!
The other thing that really helped was we were riding in a regular arena instead of the small one.  Charlie is so long that it gives me a lot more room to work.

No comments: