Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, September 02, 2013

Pilates with Beth

On Saturday, Charlie and I had our first pilates lesson on horseback.  It was interesting, because Beth could see the same things as Shannon, John, and Major Beale, but she had a different approach to trying to fix it.
The first visual is aligning two planes of your body - the lower pelvis (I sit too far forward, on the front points of my pelvis, so that angle needs to go back) and then your shoulder (I sit too rounded, so that angle needs to come forward).
The second series were about use of the core.  First, tightening the "armpits" which is really that muscle that's running under your armpit and connects your back.  Second is not letting my belly flop forward and back so much, but keeping it more still and letting my hips and legs absorb the motion.  Third is making my core still to halt or do a down transition.
Third is to fix the crooked pelvis.  There are a couple ways to approach this.  Going either direction, I need to twist both my hips and my shoulders to the left - to keep them lined up with Charlie.  This feels really wonky, but Beth says it's just barely straight.  The weird thing that happens here is because my pelvis is crooked, my legs feel different in the saddle when I straighten - what feels even is actually heavy on the right seat bone.
The good news was that Beth thinks these are all the same problem, so once we get it fixed, it should be a big golden moment.
I haven't had a chance to ride dressage again since the lesson, so it will be really interesting to see if I can feel it and make the adjustments on my own.

No comments: