Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Thursday, May 05, 2016

I fell off. In front of John, Ashley, and Meg.

Other than the falling off, it was a great lesson.  But it was the first time I've ever fallen off in front of John, and I didn't do it gracefully.  I shot off Charlie's left side like a star fish and said "eeeeeee!" the whole way down, like I saw a mouse and was falling towards it.
Matty was being kind of a jerk and kicking out before the fences and then bucking when Meg got after him.  Charlie felt slow, but John said he was fine and I was launching him at the fences for no reason.
We started with a vertical, then did a loop-de-loop figure 8 that was a left lead, right lead, left lead, right lead.  Charlie actually had no problem with his leads.  Then we added an oxer to the left a couple times, then a big loop around to an oxer to the right, back to the oxer to the left, to the right.  Meg rode this first and had some trouble making the right hand turn.  Then I rode it and immediately fell off on the first right hand turn.  After that, it was fine to ride, it was just that first time I thought we needed speed to get over the oxer and that left us too long and flat to be able to make the hard right turn.  John said to stop trying to go faster; I'm going plenty fast.
From there, we did a left hand turn into a one stride, right hand bend to an oxer, left turn to an oxer, back through the one stride.
After that, we added a four stride right hand turn to a vertical at the end.
Charlie rode all of those like a dream boat.  The only thing was he would only get the left lead in the front, and I didn't have time to change the back and wrestle with him, so John told me to just leave it and ride it anyway.  Charlie rode it fine.
John said before I got mad, to realize that last year, he wouldn't even change in the front, so at least there was that.  And he said that Charlie knows now that we want him to change, so just leave it alone for a while.  He said Charlie is smart enough to figure out that it is easier to change when I'm asking him to in the air instead of cross firing around the corners, and that he should just start doing it on his own in a while.  I hope so.
I like riding with Meg because I like to watch her ride the line.  It is easier for me to ride it after I see her do it.  (except when I fall off)  I also like the little tips, like she mentioned how she had to switch to her short crop because she has gotten so used to riding with her dressage whip.  Since I spent all of the Aspen derby whipping my own leg instead of Charlie, it was good to hear it's more of a universal problem and that she switches.  It is also nice to hear what she thinks about her ride on Matty, since I have watched it.  She's a much better rider than me, in knowledge and in form, and I hope that I continue to develop so I'm a better rider in the future too.
And this weather - man.  It is nice stuff to have sun and warmth.

No comments: