Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Dressage in draw reins

Jessica hauled out with us and had a jump lesson before our dressage lesson.  When John came out with the draw reins, I assumed they were for her, but lo and behold, they were for me and Charlie.  And good lord they were a good choice.  John wanted to see how Charlie was doing without me having to fight with him about his frame (he told me after the lesson ended) and how Charlie was doing was moving like a dreamboat.  We did 8 meter circles, 10 meter circles, and 12 meter circles, leg yield at the trot and canter, and shoulder-in.  We did "medium" (not lengthened) trot, and Charlie lifted up like a motorboat taking off and just soared down the wall.  He got a lot of "good boys" from me during the lesson.
At the end, John told me that he could tell that when he rode Charlie (around September 3, the lesson before Aspen), I obviously was watching him, watched what he did, and watched how Charlie reacted, and then tried to incorporate it.  Which is true, but I think he is giving me too much credit for doing it successfully.  He said that at the canter, I've been behind the motion - trying to get Charlie to step up or go faster and then - eventually - going forward when Charlie is going backwards and not helping him with his legs.  But he said this time, I figured out the driving forward seat, and was using it properly.  I was glowing with the compliment, even though I felt like I totally didn't deserve it.  I thought it was just dumb luck that Charlie was moving so great during a lesson.
Jessica said after it looked like I had a dressage seat, and I said yeah, that's how it felt.  Like I was riding and thought "oh, this is why dressage riders look like this when they ride."
Next week I have to miss Thursday, so John said we'd jump on Saturday.  I asked didn't I need dressage more than jumping, and he said jumping was the reason the son shone.  I agree completely.
I am so, so, so lucky in life to have a great horse like Charlie and a great trainer like John and the means to be able to go down there and ride with him.  He is such an incredible instructor.

No comments: