Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Friday, April 27, 2018

Dressage and the bit

Duke and I had issues yesterday when he refused to take the bit, then threw a fit, and then things escalated and escalated.  So my first and most important question for John tonight was what to do.  He said put Duke in his stall to put on his bridle, and turn his head a bit to the left (so there's a bend in his neck) before putting it on.  And not to get mad.  John ran his fingers on his teeth, but couldn't feel anything my vet missed.
I'll probably also try carrots.

Although he also clamped his jaws shut tonight, I did eventually get the bit in, and then he was just as lovely as could be riding for John.  However, it was one of those rides that is feels, not words, and so I'm going to struggle to describe it.
In the trot, we worked on getting the correct bend to the inside.  Then John had me correct my leg aids; I had my inside leg too far back, and needed to put my outside leg farther back.  Inside leg feels like it is forward, up next to the girth; outside leg feels like it is pushed as far back as it can go.
From there, we did some 10 meter circles, using either inside or outside leg to make the circle round.
We did a little bit of counterbend going to the right, and then worked on keeping Duke round in the canter to trot transition.
The canter was similar, correct bend, and not curling my wrist.  When my wrist starts to curl, it means my reins are too long and need to be shorter.  Duke was stiff to the left on the canter, but he also was stiff last night on his carrot stretch (and tonight) so I wonder if in all the jerking around like a jerk face with the bit, he torqued his neck a bit.
It was just the lesson I needed, a quiet and pleasant ride, after the shit day I had at work.  Riding with John is like my way of self-soothing.  I think it's because I get to give up control and just concentrate on whatever he is telling me to do. 

No comments: