Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Voltaire saddles

Duke got a saddle fitting and new saddles ordered today.  Whew.  John recommended Lindsey with Voltaire, and she was in Buckley this morning, so fit us in.
She said that my current saddles were definitely built for Charlie, and his unique shape, and that Duke was far more normal.  She said he had a nice back for a thoroughbred, and that while his back was short, he doesn't need a special short tree.  She did recommend that I have a 17" jump saddle (instead of 17.5") because it was very close.  She said the extra half inch is usually preferred for banks, but I'd rather he be comfortable for everything but the bank and I hit my ass on the back of the saddle there.
We got a Palm Beach (the Beezie Madden saddle) used ($1,000 off), with a matching bridle; and a new Adelaide for dressage.  She had a used one, but it did not have the narrow twist, and if I'm going to use this saddle for the next 10-20 years, I'd rather have the narrow twist.  I also got a shorter and thinner knee block, although set back just a bit to help my leg go straight down instead of curl up.  So we'll see.
I got bridles for both saddles so he'll match and not look like such an orphan at the shows in Charlie's hand-me-downs.
For care:
Ok to use the cleaner with the towel each time to wipe the dust off.
For the new saddle, use the beeswax every three rides for a month.  Put it deep into the twist, and then put the saddle somewhere warm (like the sun).  Use less beeswax on the braided reins, since it gunks up.
Ask John if he needs a belly guard girth, but my stirrups and girth are in good condition, although she thinks he'll need a shorter girth once he's fit (48").
She also aid to try wearing a 5 point with John xc a few times before deciding whether to get one, some horses don't like them and act up.
Use the beeswax after that enough to keep the saddle a deep, rich color; if it starts getting light (brown) then it needs more.
The dressage saddle should take 16 weeks to arrive; the jump will take 1-3 depending on how much work they do to it once they check it.
The billets are easy to replace, and she said she'll check them (they are at Rebecca).  They'll also check fit there, and can do it there (after I ride) or I can send it in (it takes about an hour).  She says that he'll change shape a bit when he's fit, and I figured he'll be fit most of the rest of his life if he's going prelim and above.
For the shoulder movement and cut back jump, she said it had more to do with where the point of the saddle was, and that I needed a more forward flap because when I get up in a two point and gallop, I push my knee a bit forward.
Both saddles were very comfortable to ride in; it was easy to sit in the trot in the dressage and I didn't feel like I was being thrown forward at the canter in either of them.  I jumped a 2'10" or so vertical, and it was easy to stay balanced up and over him.
But man, what a big decision.

No comments: