Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, January 13, 2019

2 hour chase, dressage, then jumping superstar

On Saturday, Duke made me chase him for TWO hours before he agreed to be caught.  He was quite tired for his lesson.
John had us work on 10 meter circles and 20 meter circles, getting Duke connected from the inside leg to the outside hand, using a bit of outside rein to keep him from tilting his head.  I'm writing this a day late, so it's shallow on the details.
Today, we had an early morning very chilly lesson that was spectacular.  John had us start over a cross rail with ground poles on each side.  We were, eventually, trotting over a vertical that was maybe 4'2"!
Then we did the grid - two ground poles, cross rail, ground pole, vertical, and oxer.  We ended up with a maybe 4'2" oxer with a maybe 4' spread - with another pole diagonal across it to make a top.  Duke jumped like a champ, and I had a much easier time either doing a down transition to a trot or riding him around the end of the arena, instead of careening.  When the jump got huge for the last couple times, it also seemed a little easier to push my heels down and forward in front of me, and there was so much time, I could give him a giant crest release.
He stumbled a couple of times near the cross rail, and John said not to even think about it or worry about it - it's so tiny, don't let it disrupt me from looking up and over.
I had to do some half halts on the way in and then a bit of a squeeze about a stride out, but Duke really just enjoyed himself, and so did I.  Ashley took a video, so we have this one documented.
John said we should go to the indoor schooling show in Oregon next Saturday, so I am going to sign up for Training and Prelim.
It was totally worth the cold feet for the lessons.  They were both spectacular.

No comments: