Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, January 05, 2019

Jumping (4'!)

We had our first jump lesson in 6 (?) weeks or so, and it was great.  Duke was a little strong at first, but it was a good opportunity to work on half halting him with my legs and hands, to try to get him to sit back instead of just slow down.  John said that I was trying hard to find the right spot, instead of just going over the fence.
Then we did the grid (trot in, ground pole, cross rail, ground pole, vertical, then oxer).  For this one, I worked on my position (shoulder blades back and down; back flat; not going into superman (hands forward, legs back)), and then, on the far side (and on the approach), I could tell a huge difference in how much time and space we had to make the turn back around.  It was easier when the oxer fences were lower (we ended at about 4', which Duke jumped like a dream boat, but was kind of huge), but it was about sitting up, and then pushing him into the outside rein with my inside leg and curving him around the turn, instead of wheeling him around with my inside hand.
John said that he is fine with his own legs if he messes something up, so just keep riding forward over the fence.  I had to also work hard on keeping my head up - looking up and out over the last fence, not at each fence all the way through.
I thought Duke did great.  It was really fun.

No comments: