Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Jumping with the poles removed

John said I had a good eye for distances tonight; I only missed a few times, and not at all once he took the ground poles away.  We were only jumping like 3'3" though, so ...
He said I needed to make sure to use the outside rein to turn after the fences (on the tight turn) especially when riding in an indoor arena.
We started on the flat, and Duke was a little tense, so John had me bend him to the inside (I had to put my inside hand behind my thigh once, and give forward with the outside hand, and once open the inside hand), and then use a little bit of outside leg before using the inside leg to leg yield him over.
He stayed tense, so John had us just canter around the outside on a looser rein, and he calmed down really well.
It was really satisfying - I feel like we have more time after we land before we turn, and that I'm doing a better job staying balanced in the turn, when landing, and with my lower leg over the fence.
John said to try bending the base of his neck at the walk when we start, like we did with the open rein, just for a step or two.
We started with a little vertical, then John raised it, then he rolled in the ground poles from each side, then we cantered into what was normally the grid, but John had moved the trot poles, and then he kept taking poles out until it was just an oxer.  Making the "10 meter" half circle on the way into the grid was the hardest part, but so long as I planned ahead, it worked pretty ok (except the one time Duke stumbled).

No comments: