Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Thursday, April 09, 2020

Dressage after a couple weeks at home

First I couldn't catch Duke, then work went haywire, then we had to shelter-in-place, so Duke and I were forced to try to remember everything John has taught us and apply it at home. I thought Duke was doing ok, but sometimes when I think that, I'm deluding myself. In this case, he really did seem to - if not improve, at least not go backwards, despite all the changes in our schedule and general life weirdness because of Covid.
We got to ride outside, in some nice, warm spring sunshine, and although John brought draw reins, we didn't need them.
We started with some trot work, where I completely could not get Duke round, then John had us do 10 meter circles, change direction, and spiral in and then push him out like a leg yield.
From there, he had me start sitting the trot (ugh), while telling me about 2000x to take up my reins. I'd need to counterbend Duke to get him to stop falling in, then go back to regular bend.
We did some canter, similar exercises, and John had us start the canter on some 10 meter circles even.
Then we went down the "long" side, did some circles off of it, then did leg yield both directions (keep him from drifting with the outside rein!), then shoulder in (I don't need my leg to ask for it, I just move his shoulders to the inside), for both - keep him bent to the "inside", then some leg yield, where Duke did the magic thing from a few lessons ago (and a few days ago at home) where I felt him lift up his shoulders and really kick his front legs out.
Then John had us work on the halt, with a square transition, stand, walk forward. When Duke got jiggy, he'd have me point him toward the center, then push him out to the "rail" again right away with my inside leg a few times, and then halt. After halting, we'd have to walk on still together, he had to do it properly a few times before he got a loose rein and to walk freely.
And man, he was sweaty and tired and yawning even!
Manny moved in yesterday and Duke is more than ecstatic to have a friend; he went through his stall door yesterday to hang out with Manny in the little run, and although he loaded pretty well, he was anxious about leaving Manny behind. I think he's codependent.
It was a good lesson; Duke felt really good and I was proud he was doing as well as he was even without lessons or John riding him for the past month. It made me feel like maybe all those years of lessons are finally showing that I have been learning something and progressing.

No comments: