Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Calorie burning day

Today Sam helped me "strip" Mercury and Willig's stall. They have mats, but sawdust and manure (and pee) gets in the cracks between them, and I thought the combo was mounding up. Turns out the floor is just bumpy. The mats were really heavy, and I couldn't have done it without Sam. It took the two of us two hours and I had sweat pouring down my face. Well, ok, trickling.
Then we picked some blackberries (yum!) and set up a jump exercise for both boys. It was three ground poles (like last time), 4'9" apart, then 9'6" to a cross rail, then 18' to a vertical (2'6" or 2'8", I already forgot), then 18' to an oxer (back rail was 2'9"). Willig did amazing. He had a couple refusals on the oxer, but Sam watched and helped me change the jumps. We started with no jump on the vertical and no back bar on the oxer, then the low bar on the vertical, then the high bar on the vertical, and then the back bar on the oxer.
He was, however, his usual freaky obnoxious self about the side of the arena closest to the forest. It is driving me crazy. It isn't even the jumps he's scared of because they were all INSIDE the arena today.
Mercury was not as good as Willig. He tended to rush a bit towards the end, and he got kind of wound up about the whole thing. But overall, they were both really good.
I, however, am old-lady-out-of-shape and suspect I'm going to be sore tomorrow from the stall cleaning.

No comments: