Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Jumping

Last weekend I set up three jumps - two cross rails which I switched to verticals(about 2'8"/2'9"), and a "spread" - I set up two sets of jumps about 3' apart, with the barrels in between.
Willig had some issues with the spread (so I'm glad I made it and we worked on it). He did great on the cross rails and verticals, but he didn't want to jump the spread when we came at it from the left. And he would WAY overjump and do that deer jump that sproings up into the air like a rocket launching. The first time I lost my stirrups completely (I'm pretty sure my legs shot out to the side like a rag doll too), but I stayed on, and after that, although they weren't beautiful, I never lost my stirrups again.
He did a good job though - he refused a few times, but made an effort and tried to figure it out.
I think our biggest obstacle right now is just the herd-bound/confidence/lack of experience. Though I would very much like to start taking dressage lessons once a month and jumping lessons (especially at someone's place with a xc course so we can experience all the different stuff) once a month.
I am thinking about maybe doing one of the clinics this fall. Up to now, I was feeling like we had so much to work on that a clinic would be a waste of time, but now I'm starting to think it would be good for him about now.
The Happ's Derby is next weekend, but the weather prediction is RAIN. I don't know if it's going to be held or not. My parents will be here, but we have a lot going on too. And, I'm about to drive the truck today, because last weekend the ABS light kept coming on, and then twice the brakes felt funny to me - like they were jumpy?? I'm going to see if it does it again today, so I can take it to the shop next week if something is wrong. No way am I hauling Willig if my brakes are acting up.
I also realized one reason our progress is so slow (aside from not having a trainer and me having no idea what I'm doing) - although I'm out at the barn about 20 hours a week, I really only ride about 3 hours a week. And some of that is on Mercury. I spend a lot of time lunging Willig because he's had a day or two off (and then I don't ride him as long after), and even though it feels like I have hardly enough time in the week as is, I have to figure out a way to get more riding hours in the saddle. Then I thought, maybe if I totally suck, I'm at least slowing down the damage I'm doing to him until I get a trainer. I don't think so though - we seem to be making inching progress. And I'm really, really pleased with the 2'9" because that means that once we have the experience over the different types of jumps, and the dressage lessons, it won't take us long to move through BN to Novice. He's such a delight to ride compared to Merc, even though when he's not paying attention, his steering goes out.
I think in a few years he'll definitely be able to go Training. I don't know enough to know if he'll ever go Prelim. I am, however, a convert. Warmbloods for me from now on.

No comments: