Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Blanket Temperatures

In October, Practical Horseman had an incredibly useful (and missed by me until January) blanket guide.
For a horse like Willig who is in the barn at night, turned out during the day, and has a partial clip:
60 F - Turnout sheet if rainy or windy
50 F - Turnout sheet
40 F - Lightweight turnout
30 F - Midweight turnout
20 F - Midweight turnout
10 F and below - Heavyweight turnout & hood

And here's the blanket insulation and how it translates:
0 grams - Sheet
100 grams - Lightweight
200 grams - Midweight
300 grams - Heavyweight

I suspect I have been WAY overblanketing him.
Due to his sensitive skin, I also try to use high neck or hood as much as I can for rain.

No comments: