Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Can a 4Runner pull a light horse trailer?

We're contemplating "downsizing" from my F-250 and my lead bottomed 3 horse trailer to a car that can also pull an alumnium 2-horse trailer but is a reasonable size for daily driving. The new 4Runners only tow 5,000 pounds, which seems to me like it's pushing the limits, but the ones that are just a couple years old tow somewhere in the 6-8,000 range (the exact number escapes me).
Does anyone have any experience pulling a horse trailer with a similar size SUV, or know of any stories?
The only SUVs I've ever seen or known to pull horse trailers are the big ones - like a Suburban.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Have you heard of these European type trailers?

http://www.brenderuprealtrailers.com/

I am thinking of getting one of these so I can get an SUV, too. I have read a lot of good things and know someone who loves theirs. Just something different to check out!

Martha said...

I've seen one in the area - the only thing is they don't seem to have a dressing room, and although most of the show season is the non-rainy season, there's always that chance.

Heidi said...

The Baron TC or SL has a tack room/dressing room. Of course the SL is the most expensive model because the smaller dressing room expands into a larger dressing room when the wall separating the horses from tack area is slid back. It seems pretty cool!

Martha said...

Having your cake and eating it too - how cool is that?! Thanks for spreading the word.

Amy said...

I am not sure about a 4runner being able to handle the weight. I use my Mercury Mountaineer with a regualer two horse trailer, not aluminum, so the trailer is heavier but I can tell with 2 horses in it that it is struggling sometimes. It has a bigger engine and is a v8. I don't know what the terrain is around you but if you have very many hills it may not be a good solution. Though there are tougher SUV's out there that could handle it but the 4runner isn't heavy duty enough, IMHO.

Anonymous said...

I tow a small two horse trailer with a Land Rover Discovery. I only tow one horse at a time though because the Land Rover manual says I can only pull 4,000 lbs and I don't want to push it. My Land Rover does fine with the small trailer and just one horse.