Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, September 19, 2010

((Sigh))

Willig bucked me off again today. It's been a while, and he was riding a bit on the frisky side, but I wanted to see if I could manage it by getting him tired doing low, boring stuff, and if so, then I was going to tackle the three "hard" fences set up. The answer is no, I can't. He was a bit squirrely on the far side of the harder fences, and he bucked once after we did the fake water (a tarp), and he tried to run out on one and I was happy when I got him over it. But he was staying squirrely (as foreshadowing, he started the ride by spooking at a blowing leaf, but that's not actually that unusual).
So anyway, he went over the run out one fine, and I was turning him right, and maybe 2-3 strides after the landing, he did a hard buck that threw me up on his neck (so I'm pretty sure it wasn't bad position on the far side of the fence by me, because I was already turning him and everything) and it just was good timing to knock me out of the saddle and I decided to bail but my left foot got a bit stuck in the stirrup so I had to kind of kick on the way off.
Due to the kicking, Tom, who was watching like a good, patient boyfriend, said that as he took off bucking, he almost kicked me in the face. Thank goodness, I think I had my eyes shut - I wouldn't have wanted to see that hoof coming at me.
He ran around and around and around bucking and kicking and being a moron racehorse, and then when he finally stopped, I got on him and made him do about 7 more fences and then we quit. (Not the hard ones.)
I landed on my bum wrist a bit goofy, so it's feeling a little off (making me feel old), and while the ground was nice and squishy from all the rain, my pants got completely filled with the footing. Blech.
I'm a little disappointed in him, but more disappointed in myself that I can't ride him through it and need to get off and lunge. The good news is I can feel the squirrely days, so I just need to suck it up and know when to get off and let him get it out.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Just found your blog, sorry to hear about the unplanned flying dismount! The last time I got bucked off, on the way down I remember looking up and seeing my foot above me and thinking, "now, how did that get there?" :)

Martha said...

I was sore - my wrist was swollen but went down and thank goodness wasn't re-broken.
I had a few tender spots and some general achiness.
And then he was a doll the only two times I got to ride him during the week.