Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, September 12, 2010

I don't want to jinx myself, but another great jump lesson!

Holy cow, Willig has pulled himself together. Looking back to a year ago and how I was just buying time and making some last ditch efforts before I offered him for sale - to now, where I look forward to riding him, and miracle of miracles, the fear of jumping is slipping away and I'm actually starting to enjoy it again! I owe tremendous thanks to both my trainers, Mike and Shannon, and to Jess, who has done an incredible job working with him since March.
We had a jumping lesson with Shannon on Saturday, and I was all antsy about riding him outside since the Pony Clubbers were there, and I didn't want to be humiliated in front of them. So that's where we rode.
After an odd lunge line experience. Poor Mr. W had Thursday and Friday off because I had to write an unexpected brief for the Court of Appeals, and so I got there for an extra half hour of lunging. And very uncharacteristically for him, he was like "Let's see how craz-ee I can be on the lunge line! Wee!" and proceeded to buck and jump and just canter and canter and canter and canter, switch leads, switch back, and keep cantering.
Shannon pointed out there is a purpose for the side reins, and that I should take the extra 30 seconds to put them on. Especially when I think he might be a bit of a nut. She also said that when he starts bucking, to whip him so he scoots his butt and runs forward, which breaks the buck.
Once I got on, we hopped over a little rail on a circle, Shannon dropped all the fences from the pony club ponies (another fat slice of humble pie for me), then we cantered a little course.
He ran out at the oxer, and that is the only complaint for the whole lesson. Here's the fix:
I felt him hesitating as we approached, but I assumed he was looking at it but going to go over, since he hasn't been refusing lately, and so I gave him a light extra squeeze, but that was it. I didn't cluck, I didn't whip, I didn't kick, I didn't yell. And when he ran out, I just gently looped him back into a circle to come back at it.
The correct response was, at the moment of hesitation (or even a suspicion of hesitation), I can kick, yell, whip, and generally make his life easier by going over the fence than by refusing. I suspect he learned in the past, before me, how to run out, since he's been sneaky and inconsistent with it ever since I got him, but I need to fix that. And if he does try to run out, YANK his face back in front of that fence, and clobber him until he goes over or through it. This is just a show jumping oxer, and we can go through it instead of over it.
Other than that, he did great. After the first "successful" course, Shannon raised all the fences to a "normal" (looks like about 2'4" - 2'6") and we did a slightly different course at the canter, and he jumped a narrow, the oxer, the wall, and felt great.
I still need to keep working on my pesky heels being down, and evening up my right and left hands, but now I am making the jumps a bit bigger and bit scarier (today I brought out a piece of plywood to make one look solid, and a tarp to create a 'water'), and I'm feeling good about how far he's come.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sounds wonderful! I love days you feel the progress, so invigorating.