Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, August 01, 2015

A second day of amazing insights with Beth; moving day

Charlie started out a little fresh today, but by the time we worked on the walk, he decided he wasn't anymore.  We worked on the "next layer of the onion" at the walk, with more focus on me not nagging with my legs, and more focus on keeping the "two plates" (one in front, one in back) in place so that I don't have as much forward and back movement.  We also worked on feeling when each of Charlie's hind legs is coming under him, so I can give prompt, precise aids based on when the hind leg is working.  His leg pushes his barrel out to the other side, so when his left hind leg comes forward, his barrel goes to the right.  Once Beth explained that, I had no problem knowing when the hind leg was moving, at the walk or trot, and it helped a lot with timing the leg aids.
Charlie has trained me to slip the reins, and to let him slow down in the corners.  The way around this was to give a "tap-tap-tap" timed with the hind leg (the inside hind leg on a 10 meter circle, because it is the one doing the work) as we approach the corner where he's going to slow down.  Also, I need to think each step and when I feel him do it, ask him for more.
Then we worked on shoulder-in and lengthening the trot.  For the shoulder-in, for some reason I turn him way too far to the inside when we're tracking right, but can't turn him at all to the left.  I need to twist my shoulders (gently) to the inside when we're going left.
For lengthening, I kind of launch him forward, like a flat rocket onto his forehand.  The secret to the lengthening is to connect my shoulder blades into my back.  For some reason that I don't fully understand yet, that prevents me from letting him shoot out in front of me, and so he rises like a motor boat taking off instead of puking down.
I also have to concentrate very very hard on not using the leg aids to nag.  It took me 10 times around a 20 meter circle to walk energetically, but eventually that time will get shorter and then I will be well served by having Charlie with a lightning fast response to the leg aid.
It was a great lesson; a little harder than yesterday but with a lot of great tips that I could feel and apply myself, and like always, Charlie was a champ who responded instantly so that I could feel when I did it right.
He's at John's starting today for six weeks, while we close on the new house.  Exciting!

No comments: