Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Our first fall

This weekend was champs at Caber.  I had said it was going to be a "massacre" but I meant I would be in last place after dressage based on all the professionals and really good riders in my class.  To my absolute surprise, we were tied for 5th.  Charlie was lazy, but felt really balanced in warm up, and the only thing I was having problems with was his down transitions (which were primarily what the judge noted too).  So we need to work on those.
Then for cross country, he felt great in warm up, a little long, but nothing too unusual.  I didn't do much warm up because he has been so lazy and we had to do 5 minutes at 470 mpm and I feel like he's just not in great enough shape.
There were three a/b/c combinations on the course, and the first one (fence 5a) was our undoing.  It was an up bank - maybe 3' high but I'm not even sure, and we came in fast and long, and I had a moment to say something to Charlie just before we should have gone up, so I felt something was wrong.
I think he misjudged the bank or didn't even see it or stumbled as he went up, and so we went straight forward onto the gravel, and I shot off over his left shoulder (all the way to the down bank, so 20' ish because it was a two stride).  The fall was actually ok, because he had stumbled down, so it wasn't from very high, and somehow I didn't scoot along the gravel too bad, but then he fell too.
I don't think he flipped over the bank, I think he fell down on top of the gravel, but then he rolled on me.  He did NOT step on me, but all of a sudden I could feel all of his weight pressing me into the gravel and then his big butt moving around, and then bless his heart, he got up without stepping on me. Peaches mom was there (because Peaches was after me) and she said that he stepped on his reins, got out of them, and then ran off like a maniac.  I didn't see the rein stepping, and it took me a few minutes to open my eyes, but I could see him cavorting around the field like a maniac.  Like a total asshole who didn't care about me.
Some little girl caught him, and then Marc had him.  They had to stop the course to get me out of the way, but all in all, it wasn't that bad because John had just put in the new gravel so it was actually really soft (for gravel).  I have one little scratch on my shoulder and ring finger.
Charlie, however, has four or five, all but one on his right leg.  I think he got gravel in his boot when he skidded, and then ran with it and it chewed up inside his boot.  I had gravel in both of my ears.
I don't know why he doesn't have scratches on his front legs or nose or chest though.
I hope he is ok.  In warm up he kept pinning his ears at the other horses and briefly at me, so I'm wondering if he is sore somewhere and needs the chiro or the vet to get back to normal.  Especially with his rough couple months in the move and how much he's had wind puffs.
I went to the ER because Kevin thought I might have punctured my spleen or lungs, but nothing was wrong.  They think it is cracked ribs, but they didn't even show up on the X-ray or cat scan, and my feet were filthy, my armpits weren't shaved, and I am fat and disgusting.
I can't wait to see John to ask why Charlie fell.  I was getting all cocky about being ready to go up a level, and I totally didn't feel it coming or anticipate it was going to be a rough ride at all based on warm up.
And I am, of course, bitterly disappointed because we were going to be in the ribbons in Champs against all those really good people!  Aaarrgghhh!

No comments: