Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Two-point and jumping lessons with John

Sunday we had our first lesson while Charlie is in half-training at John's.  We did a grueling amount of two-point.  When I got tired, I would hunch my back and tuck up my legs, and today the outside of my lower legs (both of them) are sore.
We did everything in the two-point:  20 meter circles, leg yields, transitions up to and down from canter, bending to the outside …
John said it was for fitness, balance, but also to show me that I could do all kinds of things without needing to sit down in a dressage position; that Charlie is quite responsive from the two point if I need it while we're on course.

Yesterday was his first day being ridden, which I completely forgot to ask about today.  But Charlie had nice svelte lower legs and no goop in his eye, and his coat looks shinier, and he seems relaxed coming into and going out of his stall (although he is a bit grass crazed).

So today we jumped.  I could NOT get a three fence line right (vertical - one stride - oxer - two strides - vertical), and John said I was looking too long at the first fence, but it didn't matter how many times we did it, I kept flubbing my way through (Charlie, bless his sweet soul, just kept saving the day).
But before that, we did a couple lines to a couple fences, and they were basically no problem.  On the long stretch, I needed to get Charlie back on his haunches, and the way John had me do that was to bend him to the outside and then give him a half halt.  I also sent him forward in between the fences and then sat up around the corner and to the fence.  John said I needed to be able to launch or come close, and I needed to be able to pick which one.
However, Charlie had decided a monster was in the woods about 5 minutes before John got there (he was all giraffe neck and blowing) so he was actually quite peppy to ride, which was nice in a way.
It wasn't my greatest riding, but it was pretty smooth.  Charlie is so great.

No comments: