Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Lesson # 6 - 2/28/06

- on tape -
1) This was the "relax" lesson. Bob says I'm too nervous and make Mercury nervous. I need to breathe, talk, loosen up.
2) Started by checking the canter.
3) Bob said to warm up for about five minutes on loose rein. Let Merc move out.
4) At canter - move inside hand in.
5) Next cavaletti. Give him his head, loose rein. At end it was easier for me to drop, because I was pulling even when I couldn't feel it. Mercury thrashed around and kept leaping them.
6) Then jumping:
- Eyes forward, head up, looking ahead (not down)
- Enough crest release
- Don't anticipate (don't jump ahead or fall behind)
- Don't jerk back on reins too soon - don't punish for jumping
7) Then I started crying & discussion about how each horse is trained differently and I should think of Mercury as green and my expectations are too high.

No comments: