Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, January 09, 2011

Outside leg & Superjumper Willig


Today Tom came out to help me with feeling when Willig's outside hind leg leaves the ground at the walk and trot so I can refine my aids.
He also hung around so I could jump a bit with a spotter, and took this video of Willig doing a little course and a photo of the approximate height and spread of the training fence we did in our last jump lesson.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Tomonbelay?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/N4ZE7v6lQSA
(Hopefully the link works. Otherwise, search for Tomonbelay's videos and then Martha and Willig and about today's date.)
Here's the aid:
When walking clockwise (to the right), it's when your left hip is pointing towards his right shoulder. (Unless I reversed it - because it's the opposite of what I expected it to be.)
When posting the trot, it's as your seat starts to hit the saddle to sit before lifting again.
When sitting the trot, it is the "deeper" sit.
Willig was a total champ with the fences, which look puny on tape.
Jumping today, which I got anxious about ahead of time, and then wanted to throw a party afterwards I was so happy he was so good, cemented the lesson from my last lesson with Shannon and made me come up with a little strategy for preparing for this season. It's what everyone knows, but I somehow forgot: when you jump 2'9" at home, 2'6" at the show looks like nothing.
**I'M** the one who wants to jump, Willig could care less, and so if **I** want to feel comfortable jumping 2'6", then I need to work up to 2'9" at home and every scary thing I can throw at him, so when we get to the show, we BOTH think - "Oh, man, the stuff at home is sooo much harder. This is a cakewalk." It's the same test for moving up to the next level.
I'm amazed at how many times I have to say "duh" to myself.

No comments: