Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Two jump lessons and two good lessons

Shannon let me ride her training-level eventer, Charlie, for my Saturday lesson, and wooo-weee it was fun! (And educational. But mostly fun.)
We had a little 3-jump course with a little vertical and a bendy line, although of course Shannon had us start out on the flat. Charlie was soooo much easier to ride than Willig, both in his attentiveness and responsivness, and just sitting on him and riding. Especially when we started the canter, it was like sitting on a lake in a gently rocking boat, instead of, oh, on a surfboard in a hurricane.
When I asked Charlie for a down transition, he did it the SECOND that I asked, so I was constantly lurching forward because I wasn't ready for it when I asked for it, which did an amazing job of showing me how Willig has trained me back. I expect the transition to come at least two strides after I ask for it.
Charlie was also a total gentlemen when he'd pop his head up and I'd ask him to come back into connection with the bit, he'd do it immediately. I noticed his ears spent an awful lot of time listening to me, instead of radaring around looking for things to be scared of.
Although Charlie has (or maybe used to have) some of Willig's bad habits (not all of them, and he's got a few different ones), Shannon has had him since he was a young little colt (3, I think), and has trained him to be quite the nice horse.
The only other stand-out thing on the flat (other than how much fun I was having riding someone responsive) was that I had a terrible time getting him to pick up the ... right lead. When we switched to the left, he did it instantly. So when we went back to the right, I figured out it was my leg not moving back from the hip (what Mike has been telling me, and where I think the chiropractor connects in). I usually just squeeze, but when I'm "moving my leg back" I'm really just lifting it up to the saddle pad, which just confused Charlie. It was neat, if a bit painful, to see how horses read us.
When we jumped, Charlie was really gung-ho. It scared me a bit, because he actually went towards and over the jumps, and I had to think "1-2-1-2" to keep him steady and even on the way there. But he also just flew - it was soooooo easy to stay balanced on top of him, even the couple of times he took off a bit long or short - and (big sigh of relief) I do still love jumping. I haven't become a 35 year old chicken. Willig is just hard to jump. I also, even though I didn't know Charlie, noticed that I came to each fence so much more relaxed than I approach any fence (or anything) on Willig. I could sit back and wait for the fence because I wasn't anxious.
I was grinning for the entire rest of the day because I had so much fun riding him.

I rode Willig after that lesson, but we just puttered around indoors, went on a walk in the outdoor arena, and then went on a walk and did some hills and the water in the pasture. He was fine, not very spooky.
I did a lot of comparison, and the best way I can think of to describe it is that Willig is kind of squirrely compared to Charlie. He is constantly jerking and moving, and to ride him, I have to think about like 10 different things at a time, while Charlie I could just THINK about 1 or 2, and then just RIDE the rest. Willig doesn't pay as much attention to me as he does to the external world, he's harder physically to sit on, and he kind of jerks around, like a jumpy computer screen, even when he's being perfectly well behaved. I can't quite put my finger on how to describe the difference, but it makes a HUGE difference in how I sit up there.
Then today we had another jump lesson, but on Willig. He started out a tiny bit off (and he has a little patch of three hives. Compared to the last two years, they are staying under control instead of exploding over his whole neck and body, but they itch, which is different) but worked through it, something I have seen a handful of times. Then he was being a kook about the far end, even with Shannon standing at the gate, but we had to ride down there because another lesson was at the "friendly" end. This turned out to be good, because when we started jumping, he tried to bolt (he didn't try hard, but he tried) twice after the fence, and twice I managed to pull him the other direction and put him back to work. But then, we came around the corner and he did some leapy spastic thing and I finally just got, instead of scared, MAD, and started RIDING him, and then he was a gentleman the entire rest of the lesson.
So we did a three fence course from two different directions, and although he also came in a bit funny a few times (because he was looking at the lesson and other riders instead of the fence), he jumped each one like a champ. The big takeaway was that on the flat, when he kept being a goof, I kept being mad, until after a few laps Shannon started telling me what to do, and then the light bulb went off - why would I expect him to act different on his own each lap? I need to tell him what i want him to do different.
Let me go ahead and make this a take away message - I'm still slow on the punishment and almost non-existent on the praise. How in the world do I expect Willig to learn when I am not consistent, and when I almost never tell him "that's what I wanted, good boy"? He has no idea what I want from him without that effort on my part to breach the species-divide, and I'm just like a lousy girlfriend/parent, who nags nags nags and never shows appreciation. So Shannon had to remind me a couple of times, but I am trying harder to remember to either say "good boy" or give him a scratch with my fingers (I don't like to pat his neck) when he's done something that I asked.
And then I was jumping ahead in a big way, and when I opened my mouth to tell Shannon, I realized I should just fix it, so I went to each fence after that thinking "defensive heels" and that solved it.
Then I rode him thinking 1-2-1-2-1-2 to each fence, and then softening two strides out, and that took care of pretty much everything else.
And I also, because we were working on two curvy lines (for us), looked for the next fence. That worked spectacularly well when it was just one fence on a circle, and was not as good when I was doing the whole course.
Willig was a champ. I had a good time, although when he did his leapy thing, I held my breath and just about killed myself trying to ride him afterwards beacause I hadn't been breathing.
Shannon was happy because I actually rode him, and when I did, he responded really well. And I was happy because I handled the little events, and then knew (finally!) what to do with his antics.

1 comment:

Abbie said...

The horse I ride sounds a lot like yours!
It's incredible how you can tell such a difference between horses when they're ridden.