Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, January 01, 2011

Reflections on 2010; Goals for 2011

I left my last dressage lesson and last jump lesson feeling down, instead of elated and excited, and I've been thinking about why for the last couple of days. That coincided perfectly with the normal tradition of reflecting back and looking forward for the New Year, so I thought I'd try to make some sense out of what my mood is about while setting some new goals - kind of a two birds with one stone sort of thing.
I think that I am still stymied by my expectations for him. I wanted a push-button horse. What I got was a horse who is teaching me how to ride, and it is much slower going than what I had in mind. I want instant, immediate gratification without having to work for it. I don't want to know how to ride - I want to get on a horse and have him perform flawlessly like a robot, predictable horse.
And yes, I realize that I don't actually want that. I'm proud of how far Willig and I have come together over the last year. I'm really, really grateful for how lucky and fortunate we are to have such an incredible barn and two trainers who work really well for us. (And who are patient with us.) Willig came at the right time for me to learn how to ride, before I got even older and more set in my ways. I just didn't realize that I didn't know how until he came along.

Looking Back at 2010:
In general, over the course of the year, Willig has gotten friendlier towards me. When he sees me coming to his paddock, he walks to meet me, and while I'm grooming him, he likes to groom me back. He also saved me from what would have been a humiliating deer-attack, despite his profound fear of deer. Then again, he also fell down while playing in a paddock when pretty much every one at the barn was looking.
I also have way more tools in my tool kit when he acts up, so I can feel it coming, and put a stop to it before he gets speed built up like a rocket. This is thanks to both Mike and Shannon, although mostly Shannon since he still pretty much refuses to act up in front of Mike (although other people have confirmed to Mike that indeed, he does act up when Mike is not there).
He did NOT get hives this fall (although he had them at the beginning of the year), and we got a "new" dressage saddle and a new Rambo blanket, and he's gained enough weight and muscle that this year he's going to have to ride with a pad with his jump saddle.
He went to quite a few unrecognized shows and derbies, and did pretty well at most of them. His lowest score was a 5th at a derby but that was where horses were eliminating right and left. He did jump a hopeful fence from a standstill at that show. He got high point or something at the one recognized dressage show we were at (Training level).
I have a lot of blog posts raving about awesome dressage and jumping lessons.
And, he got his portrait taken (and now on display at work and at home) by Mary Cornelius.

* Dressage *
At training level, he scored mostly from 61 - 66%.
I can sit a 1st level test at the trot.
We can also do all the 1st level movements.
We are starting to work on 2nd level movements.
That's pretty &*(*##&*&*(# spectacular, given that I have no idea what we're doing at 2nd level, and I haven't been able to sit the trot my entire life.
He's got awesome lateral movements.

* Jumping *
At the start of the year, he was still bucking and I was hardly ever riding him over fences.
He did so-so at the shows, at some kicking butt and at others, being spooky. While he was consistently in the ribbons, he wasn't consistent at the shows. Shannon has suggested this has to do with who is designing the courses and I should be more selective.
At Caber Pony Club x-country, we actually had fun.
Jumping without stirrups rapidly and dramatically improved my leg position. And I got WAY more comfortable in my jump position.
He ended the year jumping training level height and a scary fence without running out. And no bucking. And he carried me over it, because I was a useless sack of nerves.
J's work with him has really shown. He has built a LOT of confidence.

Goals for 2011:
In an ideal world, we'll sell the truck and trailer and get a "new" lightweight trailer.
But his saddle will probably have to wait until 2012 if the stuff we have on the agenda comes together (like Nepal for a month).
Next year I swear I will give him a better clip job. Poor guy.
And I hope the crap on his nose goes away.

* Dressage *
Keep polishing 1st level movements.
Keep polishing "basics" (heels down, hands still and steady, leaning back, my aids)
Work on 2nd level movements.
Show unrecognized and recognized 1st level.
Start making 1st level freestyle test.

* Jumping *
Keep working on "basics" (heels down, legs defensive in front (being left behind over fence), hands still, even, & steady, better use of half halt and dressage, cluck, use my legs, and use my whip to be the boss and tell him what to do (i.e. ride assertively towards the fence))
Continue to work on confidence - go over anything scary like a cone
Continue to work outdoors/away from security of indoor arena
Continue to work on trails & riding in pasture
Continue to haul to derbies (and maybe other places?) to make travel ho-hum
Work on height at home - be comfortable over 2'6" when competing hopeful; 2'9" when move up to beginner novice (this should be after no more silly spooking at shows - and consistently placing in top 3)
Ideally, ride beginner novice by end of season.
(Next year (2012) we'll add ditches and banks and maybe (!) recognized shows.)

So to repeat a quote from back in August:
"The measure of success is not whether you have a tough problem to deal with, but whether it is the same problem you had last year."
- John Foster Dulles

1 comment:

Amy said...

Great goals!! You forgot 1, have FUN while working toward those goals! Love the quote.