Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Jump Day: Martha's Version

Because Willig was unjumpable for J on Thursday (a wise move on her part, and a good heads up for me), I started today inside with an easy warm up (and a good, although not spectacular Willig) and then a few times over the little 2' fence inside.
Then we went outside, and he got to walk around for a while while I adjusted the height and spread of the fences. A great course was already set up, but I just made it a couple of 2' fences, mostly 2'3"-2'5" fences, and a couple of 2'6"-2'7" fences. I wasn't going to try the wall today, but I adjusted the blue barrels and a couple of small oxers.
Warming up outside, Willig was smack dab in between good Willig and naughty Willig, so I tried him over a few fences, and then went ahead and put him on the lunge line when he didn't improve:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Tomonbelay#p/a/u/1/F5K7Yewz9BY (Special note to Shannon - when he tries to run out on landing, you can hear me making the "eeehhh - eeehhh" (i.e.: "You're a bad horse") noise!)
He wasn't too crazy on the lunge, but of course then the poodle came out.
So I used what we've done in my lessons and stuck Tom at the far end, and then did a little course twice. Caveat: I didn't jump the blue barrel and I took out the combination with the oxer because with the show next weekend and us not working outside much this winter, I wanted to build confidence more than I wanted to push his envelope this week, particularly since this was his first time outside in a long while, and this was a tremendous improvement from his Thursday "ride" with J.
Here's how we ended. It's hard to see because of the light:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Tomonbelay#p/a/u/2/kN1Hg3Wg0mA
I kissed him so hard I hurt my lip.
He was sweet, steady, and perfectly reliable.
So I'm considering this a solid performance - nice, linear improvement and fun to ride. Special bonus - Shannon suggested I get Tom to video so I could see me - although I'm little and far away (and dark), my lower leg isn't moving!!! Praises to Shannon and Mike - all those lessons are paying off!

No comments: