Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, October 27, 2008

If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit

Those of you who slog through this thing might recall that at the Happ's derby, my ex-fiancee and my dad spent most of the day hanging out with Bob, my former trainer. I really miss him, and lessons with him, but after I moved the horses because of Willig's hives, and Bob's wife/barn manager lying to me about what the vet told her when I wasn't there, I asked him to come give me lessons at my new place. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to talk to him directly, and his w/bm told me that he was too busy to give me lessons. That was last Feb/March, and when my dad and K talked with him, he said that it had to do with the insurance. So I finally talked to the owner about if there was anything we could work out so that he could come give me lessons.

This is the email I sent yesterday to Bob and his wife/bm:
Hi Bob and A[],
After K[] and my dad had a chance to talk to Bob at the Happ's derby, my new barn had a change in management, so I took the opportunity to ask again about the insurance for trainers. The owner said that the USEF insurance should be adequate. There is something you add onto it (that she thinks is free), but she thought that Bob would probably already have that. She said she'd be happy to talk with you about it (either phone or email), if Bob has time and is interested in coming there for lessons.
One of Bob's former students (Jen - I don't know her last name, but she has curly hair and used to ride with Bob before you guys were married and when there was a "jump night") trains there, and she said she'd be interested in taking lessons from Bob, and I have another friend there who is looking to improve her dressage who said she'd be interested in lessons too. Right now, they have every other Saturday open, though they have a few trainers so the schedule keeps moving around.
If that doesn't work for Bob's schedule, then maybe in the spring, I could meet him for some schooling at Happ's or Lincoln Creek or one of the other places, and do a back-to-back dressage lesson and jump lesson? If you think that might work, I could email/call again in the spring when places start to open up again.
Thanks,
Martha

And, disappointingly, I got exactly the response today that I was expecting:
Hi Martha,
It wasn't so much about the insurance since I never really knew what was needed and still don't.
It sounds like the arena availability is still sporadic and would be difficult to have a set schedule.
Which means he can't have a set schedule here. And as well as him having other commitments on the weekends.
I just don't see how it can work to anyone's benefit.
Thanks,
A[]

So I guess I'm on to Plan B, which is to try out the Rainbow Farms trainer and my friend R's trainer. (Though I think that's actually like Plan D because several have already fallen through.)
Huge sigh.

Willig was really good in the cross-ties tonight, which suspiciously coordinates with being kind of crazy in the arena. He was high energy, probably still buzzing from his alfalfa pellet feast, but we worked on consistency (counting 1-2-3-4) and my idea of stretching and collecting, and it was actually a pretty satisfying ride. I kept it kind of short because he was crazy, because my back is still a little achy from yesterday, and because I got there late because I had to work late, but he still got a little sweaty!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

That sucks about Bob's wife. I wonder what he would say without her answering for him? I hope you get some good luck finding a trainer!

Sounds like you had a great time at the clinic! Did you have a gray horse named Simon in your group? His owner Sharon is going BN next year with him too. They, along with my trainer and two other girls are all from my barn and were at the clinic. Though everyone else was in the Training groups.

Martha said...

I did ride with Simon and Sharon! Sharon and her husband helped me connect my truck and trailer Sunday morning. She was really nice and Simon is a handsome boy. (He's so sweet and calm compared to Willig!)
The horse world is so small. We watched the end of the training group on Saturday, and it was so impressive. It's hard to imagine right now that in a few years, that's where (I hope!) we'll be.

Heidi said...

Oh, funny! Yes I am always amazed at the ways you discover that it is really a small world. And I agree, watching the training level riders amazes me. I can't imagine being at that level yet (or having their guts yet!) but then I look at where I was a year ago. We will get there slowly!