Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Jonathan Elliott clinic - day 2 report

Willig had a naughty, high-energy day today, but it provided some really good lessons for me and it turns out it wasn't really his fault - but mine. Like Bob always said.
So first - I got there a little before 7 am and it was pitch black. I gave him his soaked alfalfa pellets and grain, and then tried, unsuccessfully, to hook up my truck and trailer in the dark, and then got him ready while he thrashed around on the side of the trailer because other horses were whinnying, did a super fast lunge where he was all kicky and a maniac, and then we warmed up in this nice sand arena.
Once again, Jon told me to keep him slower, consistent, and more organized. He said every time he'd look up, we'd be going too quick, even though I'm capable of slowing him down as soon as he tells me to. So I need to get a feel for the right speed.
We did trot and canter, and Jon recommends a two point canter (sort of) to warm up, to let their back warm up. That actually made my legs tired, going around and around in the two point. Then we did galloping (or just lengthening) along a long side, and then collecting back up for the other three sides. This was actually a really great exercise, the same as transitions and stretching out in trot, because it made Willig really listen and be responsive.
We went out in the xc course next and did some trotting and cantering, then some little logs and little log courses.
Then we went over and did some more distance trotting and cantering, with a couple little log jumps.
We ended with the water feature, trotting through, picking up the canter in the water, cantering through, and a little course through the water, up a hill, over a jump on the top, down the hill (at trot), and then back through the water, and finally, over this nice jump with the wood carved to look like a kayak.
Willig was head strong and rushing. When we did the distance canter, the pony went first, and Willig saw him way up ahead and went charging like a bull. He acted up a little over some of the fences too, kind of putting his head down and really gunning for them.
And then the second to last jump over the kayak, he went all rodeo on me on the other side - bucking and kicking. I thought he was going to launch me into the trees. We did some trot work, then did it again, and he did it perfectly.
So what I learned was:
- Amazingly, what Bob was saying all along was right (actually, that's not amazing at all - it's just amazing that I finally got it). As soon as I quit thinking, and just rode him, everything came back to me. I actually felt like a pretty decent rider. I've been riding scared for a long time, and today was a huge confidence booster. I'm good enough that I can ride Willig through the rough patches, so I can push him and help him learn.
- If I hold him too heavy and tight with my hands, he doesn't balance or think for himself, and he stumbles. I have to have light contact, but not HOLD him for him. (I want to see if this works with Merc too.)
- I need to do my corrections ahead of time, instead of big corrections once the error starts.
- Point your thumbs where you're going next. This is so obvious, but I had completely forgotten it (I look with my face), and it works like a charm.
- If I count while I ride "1 - 2 - 3 - 4" etc., I can feel the consistency. If I don't count, I lose track of what it's supposed to feel like. Again, Bob had me count before fences, but when I was just cantering in the field (or trotting) it helped too.
- Jon said that, like the poles yesterday, for BN level, if you just work on cantering in the field on a straight line (and gallop/trot transitions), that will help as much as, if not more than, lots of fences. It teaches them to listen and to think and to ignore the stuff around them. That's good news, since I don't have any logs to jump, but I have space to go out and canter around. (I hope the footing is as good as Jon's place!)
- When Willig is bad - like rushing or bucking - it's ok to turn him, but then make him work. Don't reward him by allowing him to walk when he's been bad. Make him trot 15 m circles for a while.
- Canter away from the other riders and walk back. (For the herd bound thing.)

So, this really wasn't Willig's fault though. He never refused, and although he was kind of hyper, he wasn't really bad (Jon said the bucking was good - it meant he was enjoying himself and was being playful, so not to punish him for it, but make him work, and then reward him by letting him walk after he did it right the second time). And it turns out that 1/4 scoop of alfalfa pellets (what he usually eats), is like 1/16 of what I was giving him. I gave him way, way, way too much alfalfa last night and this morning. I think that, combined with the brisk air this morning, the sleepover in a new place, AND the newness of being out in the xc course, was just too much for him. Given all those factors, he actually did a really, really good job today.
At least three people told me they thought he was really a nice looking horse.
Also, I was really relieved at how nice everyone was. Even though we were pretty much outclassed (my half chaps aren't leather and they don't match my paddock boots), I never felt like I wasn't supposed to be there, and even though Jon's all famous and everything, he wasn't snotty at all. He did just as good a job with us as with the training level riders. I liked him.

And while I was at the clinic, Sam got 1st place in 7 classes and 2nd place in 1 at the POA show on Mercury!! She got high point rider in her division both days. I'm really proud of her and Mercury.

No comments: