Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Vet Visit for Mercury and Willig

I normally don't go out on Monday's (because it's a lesson day, but now basically every day has something going on, so I might be revising my schedule), but at the first 4-H meeting, Sam told me that Mercury's leg was swollen so she didn't ride him.
I was going to stop by to give them hay since I had to drive past anyway, so I got Mercury out, and sure enough, he had a swollen right front leg. He had some scrapes on the inside of the leg, but his leg seemed to hurt a lot more than the scrapes warranted. I hosed it, betadined, and put on that furazone (the goopy yellow), and planned to give him a few days of stall rest.
Then I got Willig out, who had been when I went past at 6 standing, skinny, in the rain without his blanket. And in addition to being naked, and all clumped from the rain, he had a HUGE swollen sheath. It was all hot and tender, and he clearly felt bad because he let me run cold (icy cold) water inside while I tried to feel if it was dirty. It was a little dirty, but not enough to justify the swelling.
So I had the vet come out, and to do the other stuff I've had on my list: flush Willig's eye, float his teeth, and give both guys their fall shots.
Willig had a temp (103.5), the vet thinks the swelling is from a bee sting because most everything else seems to be ruled out, he had sharp teeth, but not crazy sharp, his tear duct was REALLY clogged, and he has to wait for his shots until he gets over his fever.
Willig is like Franken-willig when it comes to sedatives. Because of the fever, the vet didn't want to give him a huge dose, but with three doses, and me hanging on his ear, he could still lift my feet off the ground. It was very exciting for both me and the vet, and today my left arm is sore from hanging onto his head. Fortunately, we got everything done, but now I have to put ointment in his eye twice a day for 10 days (I'll probably have to switch to once a day after the weekend), and based on this morning, that will be it's own challenge.
It will be interesting though, if he rides different with his teeth floated and without the swelling in that eye. That's his "spooky" side.
This morning his sheath was still pretty swollen, but his temp was gone (100.6), and he was annoyed about being in the stall, which I take to mean he's recovering.
Mercury was also annoyed, but I'm going to force him to take it easy - the vet thought it was probably a deep bruise and thankfully, doesn't appear to have cracked a bone.
Another boarder and I are leaving each other notes but trying to give our three boys up to three flakes of alfalfa a day. So tonight I'm going to pick up more crazy expensive alfalfa. The whole - difficulty with getting my horses the feed and hay I want them to have (and spending mucho bucks and time to do it myself), difficulty riding because of lessons and events, and the whole CANNON thing last weekend (with no notice) has made me less enamoured with where I'm at.

No comments: